This past January, the Telegraph reported on alternative funeral songs, listing ten top choices among 764 people questioned for the survey in the U.K. The video above won the top spot on that list, a cheery tune from Monty Python entitled, “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.”
The tune is from the Life of Brian film, and it beat out competition from The Jam’s “Going Underground” and The Animals’ “We Gotta Get Out of This Place.” According to the Telegraph:
The survey, commissioned by the Children’s Society, also found that nine out of ten people found talking about funeral arrangements more difficult than talking about sex…A spokesman for the society said it appeared people were turning away from “serious” funeral tunes such as Robbie Williams’ Angels in an effort to make the experience a more uplifting one.
Lorraine Groves from the Children’s Society said: “Funerals have changed a lot in the past few years – more people are planning ahead to make their funerals personal and reflective of themselves.
“We know many people prefer a simple affair and would rather their mourners give donations in memory rather than lots of flowers, along with a little lighthearted twist during the proceedings like an alternative song.”
Here is the list, with links to videos at YouTube in case you’re so old you’ve forgotten the lyrics (let alone the most excellent outfits and makeup provided by artists such as Dr. and the Medics…):
- Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life – Eric Idle / Monty Python (above)
- Cabaret – Liza Minnelli
- Wish Me Luck As You Wave Me Goodbye – Gracie Fields
- My Way – Sid Vicious
- They’re Coming To Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa – Napoleon
- Fame! I Want To Live Forever – The cast of Fame (not the original in this video, but you can get the idea)
- We’ve Gotta Get Out Of This Place – The Animals
- Going Underground – The Jam
- Spirit In The Sky – Dr and The Medics
- Enjoy Yourself, It’s Later Than You Think – The Specials (this one performed by The Busters)